Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Accentuate the Positive!

This morning I had the best class EVER!  It's a tiny class of tiny dancers, one of which doesn't say much, so it's pretty quiet. The other two are the sweetest little things, both of whom constantly tell me that I am doing a good job, and the quiet one (Cassidy) smiles in agreement.  When I demonstrate their next exercise Ava often tells me, "Good job Miss Jenni!".  Today I was helping another dancer and she even praised my ability to help her friend.  Ruby exclaimed during our tap warm up "Your the best dance teacher EVER!".  She repeated it when she thought I didn't hear her the first time.  What a great day!  I woke up this morning with a spliting headache and tired from joining life again after a vacation.  By 9:45am  I was feeling I could take on the world.  Now that is a great return for my investment and for the record...it's why I teach.

It's days like today that remind me how important it is to focus on the positive.  Now there is huge parallel (and it's pretty obvious) between this concept as a teacher, and this concept in life, but for now, for the purposes of this blog, I'll state it in terms of teaching ballet.  You can connect the dots however you see best for you! :)

As a ballet (or dance) teacher, it's easy to forget about what the dancers are doing right.  My job is to point out what needs to be corrected.  And I am sure my students will tell you I am very good at doing that.  Once I get started, it's hard to slow down.  "Fix this, turn out that....lift up"   I could go on for hours....and sometimes I do.  Today my insightful 3-year-old students reminded me to take time to give compliments...and make sure I am heard.

I know from experience that you get more flies with honey.  When I call the class to attention, I loudy state, " I like the way that ________" is ready to go!"  (of course I fill in the blank with the name of whoever is quiet at the time - I have been known to insert my own name here)  It works like a charm.  Every dancer, no matter what age, wants to be the one to get praise...especially when the entire class can hear. 

I do have a few young dancers who do not respond at all to correction.  They do respond to praise.  Believe it or not, sometimes it is hard to give.  The problem is that you can't make it up.  Kids know when they deserve praise and when not.  If you praise them when they are not working at their best, you loose credibility.  So, you find something that is right.  And trust me...we all (teachers included) have days where nothing warrants praise!  But the result is always wonderful.  You see their chest puff up, and they stand a bit taller and point their feet more just to get a little more praise.

Yesterday was a particularly hard class with my upper level.  I felt they weren't trying.  Most of the things going wrong were concepts we just talked about on Monday.  I felt like saying..."Come ON!".  I am sure I didn't say much that was positive.  So, in the way that it often does, the universe reminded my of what I already know...

Accentuate the Positive!
(sorry girls! I'll try that next time!)

Smile and Pointe Your Toes!
Jenni

1 comment:

  1. Nicely said, Jenni! Something we should all do more often, even when we do feel crummy. :)

    ReplyDelete