Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Finding a Balance

Being a ballet teacher is hard!  It's hard in many ways, but today's ballet teacher faces many issues that weren't around 100 years ago.  I could list here all the distractions, advancements that have "changed the face of society", but really... I think we all know what I mean!  I am really talking about our young dancers; impatient to do the "fancy stuff".  You know, the pirouettes, the leaps and the grandiose combinations across the floor.  This is difficult for many different reasons.  It is hard to watch dancers complete exercises and techniques they are not ready for.  It’s hard on young egos when they know enough to know it’s not correct, but don’t have the ability to fix it.  Working on the “tricks” in dance distracts from the overall picture; the ENTIRE DANCER.
On the other hand, I don’t know a 7 or 8 year old who wants to stand at the barre for an hour working on how to stand tall. This concept could literally take hours!  Last night we talked for 15 minutes in my Ballet 3 /4 class on how the hand should be shaped.  This does seem excessive on paper, I know, but it’s necessary.  An ill placed finger can ruin an otherwise beautiful arabesque.
Other issues are jazz classes.  We love jazz…however, a typical jazz curriculum introduces pirouettes in a level 1 class, while a traditional ballet curriculum introduces pirouettes much later.  We don’t want the dancers to develop incorrect habits, but at the same time learning to turn young often helps them to be natural turners, not to mention more eager to try new things.
 At Loveland Dance Academy, we work find the right balance.  In my earlier ballet classes, we work on the components of the pirouette; the passé (retire), spotting, balancing and maintaining a high releve. I use many different types of exercises to teach 1 concept.  Most importantly I try to make a personal connection with each student.  I hope to develop a strong trust.  This way when they say “It’s too hard!”  or “I can’t do that”, they believe me when I say “It’s okay!  I am here to teach you how!” and my favorite, “we are here to PRACTICE” J
Wishing you balance and patience to find it.  Keep practicing!
Smile and pointe your toes!
Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment